CFTE

CASE STUDY

The Centre for Finance, Technology and Entrepreneurship (CFTE) is an education platform and an exclusive professional network that provides online courses and organizes community events for individuals with interest in Fintech. My role was to research, redesign and develop their website. In order to gain deeper understanding of their customers I collaborated with almost every member of their staff at certain stages of the project, which helped me to create a better and optimized user experience across all devices and mediums.

Design Tools / UX Methods Used

Adobe XD, Adobe Photoshop, Miro, Flowmapp, Mouseflow / User Personas, Affinity Diagrams, Cardsorting, A/B Testing, Flow maps, Low-fidelity wireframes, Medium-fidelity prototypes

User Personas

In order to get a deeper understanding of CFTE’s customers I began the project by building 2 user personas, based on the data from their Google Analytics.

Affinity Diagrams

Once I had those finished, I created a series of affinity diagrams, exploring the motivations and anxieties behind their customers’ decision-making process. Furthermore I mapped how they relate to CFTE’s unique selling points (the courses, the experts, the community) and ways to display them via carefully crafted copy and social proof.

Flow Map

After distilling the research, and working closely with the digital lead to discuss product strategy, I created an user-journey flow map with the aim of optimizing the generation of leads.

Card Sorting

Furthermore I did card sorting with the head of growth, the digital lead and the CEO to discuss which features to utilize in the website. We also did A/B testing, implementing some of the potential new features / design iterations on their existing website, to see how much of a difference they make.

Low-Fidelity Wireframes

Then I analyzed heatmaps from their old website, and created low-fidelity wireframes using Adobe Photoshop to iterate through design options quickly.

Visual Identity

Once they got approved, I worked closely with their marketing lead to come up with a new, more consistent visual identity, to use both on and off screen. I did the initial copywriting myself and once I had all of the information available, I created high-fidelity prototypes.

I did a few internal user tests amongst the CFTE staff, and after executing the final tweaks based on the feedback I received, I did the front-end development of the website on WordPress. Throughout the 2 weeks after the website was launched, I worked closely with the digital lead and the marketing team, doing A/B testing, mainly on the courses landing pages, optimizing the layout and the copy.

Project Recap

This project had quite a few challenges. I was pressured by tight deadlines and had to be very efficient with my time management. The marketing team of CFTE was located in their Singapore office, so the communication, especially in the initial stages was quite difficult, but by the end of the project, we managed to build a good work flow.

At the beginning of our project, the conversion rate on their courses landing pages was 1.3%. After the new website was launched and the iterations I did within the 2 weeks after that, we had it up to 1.9% – 46% increase. We also had a significant decline of the bounce rate – from 62% to 36% on their best-selling course page. Adding a “Free preview” feature, in addition to “Download Prospectus” increased the lead generation by 324%. Overall it was a short period to draw conclusions, but it was great to see an improvement.

While the whole project was a huge learning experience, I especially loved the opportunity to work closely with their diverse international team, including the community lead, the head of entrepreneurship and their business analysts, gaining valuable insights into their perspective of what to include in the website and what not.